LANDWADE, a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge; 4 miles N by W of Newmarket r. station. Post-town, Newmarket. Acres, 120. Real property, £192. Pop., 36. Houses, 5. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the Hastings family; and passed to the Cottons. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Exning, in the diocese of Ely. The church is ancient; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a low tower; and contains some very old monuments of the Cottons; but has ceased to be used.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Landwade CP/Ch Newmarket RegD/PLU Cambridgeshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.