Wainfleet (All Saints), market town and par. with ry. sta., Lincolnshire, on river Steeping, 3¾ miles from its mouth, 9 miles SE. of Spilsby, and 18¾ miles NE. of Boston by rail, 1598 ac., pop. 1349; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Wainfleet is an ancient place, supposed to occupy the site of a Roman station. It was once a seaport of considerable importance, but suffered decline from the silting up of its harbour. It has a grammar school founded in 1484 by Bishop Patten ("William of Waynflete"), a native of this town, and founder of Magdalen College, Oxford.
(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))
|Feature Description:||"market town and parish with railway station" (ADL Feature Type: "cities")|
|Administrative units:||Wainfleet All Saints CP/AP Lincolnshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.