St Mary's.-- chief of the Scilly Islands; is 9 miles in circumference, and contains Hugh Town, the capital of the Scilly Islands. Among the interesting features of the island is Star Castle, an Elizabethan fortress; there are also numerous antiquities.
(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))
|Feature Description:||"chief of the Scilly Islands" (ADL Feature Type: "islands")|
|Administrative units:||Cornwall AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.