WOOTTON, a parish, with a scattered village, in the district and county of Bedford; 3½ miles N by W of Ampthill r. station, and 4½ SW of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,711. Real property, £6,205. Pop. in 1851, 1,204; in 1861, 1,349. Houses, 277. The property is subdivided. The manor, with W. House, belongs to SirPayne, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, Miss E. M. Neale. The church is early, decorated, and later English; and its chancel was recently rebuilt. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a handsome parochial school, and charities £78.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a scattered village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Wootton CP/AP Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.