WRENBURY, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, the Ellesmere canal, and the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 5 miles SW of Nantwich; and has a post-office under Nantwich, a r. station, an inn, and fairs on 25 March and 25 Sept. The township is called W.-with-Frith, and comprises 2,078 acres. Real property, £3,631. Pop., 531. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley. W. Hall is the seat of Major Starkey.The parish includes 5 other townships and a part; and comprises 15,698 acres. Pop., 2,505. Houses, 484. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Aeton. The church is plain. There are four Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £79.The sub-district contains also Baddiley parish and parts of Audlem and Malpas; and comprises 30,139 acres. Pop., 6,033. Houses, 1,229.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Wrenbury Ch Wrenbury Cum Frith CP/Ch Wrenbury SubD Nantwich PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.