Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PLUMPTON-WOOD

PLUMPTON-WOOD, a village and a parochialchapelry in St. Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Prestoncanal, 1¼ mile S W of Barton r. station, and 4¼ N Wby N of Preston. The chapelry also contains the hamlets of Catforth, Eaves, Higher Plumpton, and Lower Bartle; and its post town is Preston. Acres, 4, 722. Real property, £9, 516. Pop. in 1851, 1, 574; in 1861, 1, 462. Houses, 292. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Birley, Esq. P.-W. House, P.-W. Lodge, Swil-brook House, Barnfield House, Hollowforth, and Bartle Hall are chief residences. Extensive tile and drain-pipeworks are at Eaves and Catforth. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is ancient, and was modernised in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £23a year, a small workhouse, and charities £24.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "village and a parochial chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Michael on Wyre AP/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Woodplumpton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.