Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NABURN

NABURN, a village in Escrick parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Acaster-Malbis parish, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, at the boundary of W. R. Yorkshire, 4 miles N E by E of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 4 S of York; and has a ferryon the Ouse, and a post-office under York. The chapelry comprises 2, 466 acres. Real property, £4, 648; of which £30 are in fisheries. Pop., 471. Houses, 92. Pop. of the Escrick portion, 382. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. W. L. Palmes Naburn Hall, Bell Hall, Lincroft Lodge, and Deighton Grove are chief residences; and the first commands extensive views of the Ouse valley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. W. L. Palmes. The church is recent, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Acaster Malbis CP/AP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Naburn

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.