Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NARBOROUGH, or Narburgh

NARBOROUGH, or Narburgh, a village and a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Nar, and on the East Anglian railway, 5½ miles N W by W of Swaffham; carries on a considerable trade in coals, corn, and other goods; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Swaffham. The parish comprises 3, 545 acres. Real property, £3, 160. Pop., 387. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. Narborough Hall, an ancient mansion, is the seat of R. Marriott, Esq. A high ancient entrenchment, with fosse and rampart, is here, and may be traced to a distance of 8 miles. There isalso a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Narford, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £519.* Patron, the Rev. W. E. Allfree. The church is ancient but good, and has been lately restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains several fine brasses and monuments. There are a parochial school, and charities £45.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Narborough AP/CP       Swaffham PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place names: NARBOROUGH     |     NARBOROUGH OR NARBURGH     |     NARBURGH
Place: Narborough

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.