Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OKEFORD-FITZPAINE

OKEFORD-FITZPAINE, a village and a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset. The village stands 1½ mile W S W of the river Stour and of Shillingstone r. station, and 6 N W of Blandford-Forum; is sometimes called Fipenny; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bland ford. The parish comprises 2, 633 acres. Real property, with Shillingstone, £7, 311. Pop. of O.-F. alone, 685; Houses, 153. The manor belonged formerly to the Nicholes and the Fitz-Paynes, and belongs now to Lord Rivers. A circular single-trenched camp is on Bunbury Hill, 1½ mile N W of the village; and several Britishcoins were found there in 1753. Bricks are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £491.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church is decorated English; and partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1866; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with N porch and W tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and poors land yielding £10 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Okeford Fitzpaine CP/AP       Sturminster PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place names: FIPENNY     |     OKEFORD FITZPAINE
Place: Okeford Fitzpaine

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.