OLDBURY-UPON-SEVERN, a tything and a chapelry in Thornbury parish, Gloucester. The tythinglies on the Severn, 2 miles W N W of Thornbury, and 5¾ N N E of New Passage r. station; contains Shepherdine, Churmead, Rook-Farm, and West End; and has a post-office under Bristol. Real property, £7,080; of which £59 are in fisheries. Pop., 707. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Shepherdine House is the residence of A. Buchan, Esq. There are two Roman camps. The chapelry is more extensive than the tything. Pop., about 1,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £239. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is an old stone building; has been partially repaired; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a tything and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Oldbury upon Severn CP/Ch Thornbury AP/CP Gloucestershire AncC|
|Place:||Oldbury upon Severn|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.