Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PENDEEN

PENDEEN, a village and a chapelry in St. Just-in-Penwith parish, Cornwall. The village stands on the coast, at Por therras Cove, 7 miles W N W of Penzance r.station; is of recent origin; and has a post-office under Penzance, and a coastguard station. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 3, 513. Houses, 615. The property is divided among a few. Pendeen House was the birthplace of Dr. Borlase, the antiquary. Extensivemining is carried on; and the rocks possess interest for geologists. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170.* Patron, the Rev. J. Aitken. The church is modern and handsome; and was erected, in their leisure hours, by the inhabitants themselves.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Just in Penwith AP/CP       Cornwall AncC
Place: Pendeen

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.