Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PERRANARWORTHAL

PERRANARWORTHAL, a village and a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands in adeep dell, at the head of Restronguet creek, and at themouth of the Kennal rivulet, near Perranwell r. station, and 3¼ miles N by W of Penryn; is sometimes called Perran-Wharf; and has a post-office, designated Perranar-worthal, Cornwall. The parish contains also the village of Perranwell, and comprises 1, 796 acres. Real property, £2, 710; of which £135 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 634; in 1861, 1, 517. Houses, 323. The manor belonged formerly to the Mohuns and the Pendarveses, and belongs now to J. Bassett, Esq. The dell around the village is densely wooded; presents a delightful contrastto the rough adjacent hills; and presents the additionalfeature of a large iron-foundry. The minerals include lead, tin, and arsenic; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stithians, in the diocese of Cornwall. The church isdedicated to St. Piran, the patron of tinners; and aspring, called St. Piran's well, is in the vicinity. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and amechanics' institution.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Perranarworthal Ch/CP       Falmouth PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place names: PERRANARWORTHAL     |     PERRAN WHARF
Place: Perranarworthal

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.