Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PORTON

PORTON, a chapelry in Idmiston parish, Wilts; on the Roman road to Salisbury, on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 5 miles N E of Salisbury. It has a station on the railway, and its post town is Salisbury. Pop., 176. Houses, 40. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Idmiston.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Idmiston AP/CP       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Porton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.