Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PRESTON-BY-WINGHAM

PRESTON-BY-WINGHAM, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a rising-ground, above the marshes of the Little Stour river, 1½mile S E of Grove-Ferry r. station, and 6¾ E N E of Canterbury; bears the name of Preston-street, and has apostal pillar-box under Wingham. The parish comprises 1, 478 acres. Real property, £4,034. Pop., 557. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is of the 13th and 14th centuries; was restored in 1857; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains two brasses. There are a parochial school, and charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Preston CP/AP       Eastry PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: PRESTON BY WINGHAM     |     PRESTON STREET
Place: Preston By Wingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.