Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RADWAY

RADWAY, a parish, with a pretty village, in the district of Banbury and county of Warwick; in a fertilevalley, under Edge hill, 3¼ miles S E of Kineton, and 5¼ S W of Fenny-Compton r. station. Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Acres, 1, 530. Real property, £3,056. Pop., 375. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The figure of a horse, in memory of the battle of Towton, is cut on a hill side. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £114.* Patron, the Rev. G. Miller. The church was rebuilt in 1866; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel, vestry, and S porch, with tower and spire. There are an endowed institute ofgeneral literature, and a free school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a pretty village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Radway AP/CP       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Radway

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.