Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROCLIFF, or Roecliff

ROCLIFF, or Roecliff, a township-chapelry in Aldborough parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 1½mile W S W of Boroughbridge r. station. Post-town, Boroughbridge, under York. Acres, 1, 794. Real property, £2, 497. Pop., 231. Houses, 53. The manor belongs to A. S. Lawson, Esq. Bricks and tiles aremade. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £101.* Patron, A. S. Lawson, Esq. The church is in the Norman style. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a church school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Aldborough CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: ROCLIFF     |     ROCLIFF OR ROECLIFF     |     ROECLIFF
Place: Roecliffe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.