Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SPELDHURST

SPELDHURST, a village and a parish in Tunbridge district, Kent. The village stands 2½ miles WNW of Tunbridge-Wells r. station. The parish includes Langton and Lower Green hamlets, Rusthall manor, and part of Tunbridge-Wells town. Post town, Tunbridge-Wells. Acres, 3,947. Real property, £24,883. Pop. in 1851, 2,839; in 1861, 3,598. Houses, 665. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Powell, Esq. There are several mansions and neat villas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £303.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Saint. The church is modern. The p. curacies of Rusthalland Groombridge are separate benefices. There are national schools, and charities £23.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Speldhurst CP/AP       Tonbridge PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Speldhurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.