Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STOCKWITH (West)

STOCKWITH (West), a township-chapelry, with a village, in Misterton parish, Notts; on the river Trent, at the junction of the Chesterfield cana1, opposite East S., 4 miles NNW of Gainsborough r. station. It has a post-office under Gainsborough, a fair on 4 Sept., and a ferry. Real property, £2,791. Pop. in 1851, 654; in 1861, 538. Houses, 137. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £220.* Patrons, Trustees. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and some alms houses.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Misterton AP/CP       West Stockwith Tn/CP       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place names: STOCKWITH     |     STOCKWITH WEST     |     WEST STOCKWITH
Place: West Stockwith

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.