Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STONEHOUSE

STONEHOUSE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands adjacent to the Stroud water canal, and to a junction of the Great Western and the Midland railway systems, 3 miles W of Stroud; carries on woollen manufactures; and has a head post-office,‡ designated Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, two r. stations with telegraph, and fairs on 1 May and 11 Oct. The parish contains also Ebley village and part of Cainscross; and, with Haywards-Field extra-parochial tract, comprises 1,625 acres. Real property, £12,743; of which £1,570 are in railways. Pop., 2,609. Houses, 587. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £540.* Patron, the Crown. The church, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £47 a year, and a British school.—The sub-district contains also Leonard-Stanley, Randwick, and Haywards-Field. Acres, 3,955. Pop., 4,538. Houses, 1,016.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Stonehouse CP/AP       Stonehouse SubD       Stroud PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Stonehouse

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.