Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THORNDON

THORNDON, a parish, with a village, in Hartismere district, Suffolk; 3 miles S of Eye r. station. It has a post-office under Eye. Acres, 2,680. Real property, £4,832. Pop., 674. Houses, 139. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £705.* Patron, the Rev. W. H. Glover. The church is ancient but good, and has been restored. There are a reformatory, a national school, and town lands £147.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Thorndon CP/AP       Hartismere PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Thorndon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.