Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TIPTON

TIPTON, a chapelry in Ottery-St. Mary parish, Devon; 2 miles S of Ottery-St. Mary r. station. It was constituted in 1841; and it has a post-office under Exeter. Pop., 470. Houses, 100. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £57.* Patron, the Vicar of Ottery. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ottery St Mary AP/CP       Devon AncC
Place: Tipton St John

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.