Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TREGARON

TREGARON, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Cardigan. The town stands on the Manchester and Milford railway, 10 miles NE by N of Lampeter; was anciently a borough, disfranchised in 1730; is now a polling place; . and has a post-office‡ under Carmarthen, a r. station, a church a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and fairs on 16 March and 8 Oct. Pop., about 800.—The parish is called also Caron-ys-Clawdd, and has been noticed under that title.—The sub-district includes also 7 townships of Llanddewi-brefi. Acres, 67,288. Pop., 3,978. Houses, 848. The district contains also Gwnnws and Llangeitho sub-district, and comprises 122,050 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £3,882. Pop. in 1851, 10,404; in 1861, 10,737. Houses, 2,247. Marriages in 1863, 75; births, 299,-of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 179,-of which 37 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 630; births, 3,221; deaths, 1,907. The places of worship, in 1851, were 10 of the Church of England, with 1,764 sittings; 2 of Baptists, with 270 s.; 1 of Wesleyans, with 60 s.; and 15 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 4,574 s. The schools were 4 public day-schools, with 294 scholars; 6 private day-schools, with 158 s.; and 38 Sunday schools, with 4,281 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Caron Is Clawdd AP/CP       Tregaron SubD       Tregaron PLU/RegD       Cardiganshire AncC
Place: Caron Is Clawdd

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.