Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TYTHEGSTON

TYTHEGSTON, a parish, with two hamlets, in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; 4 miles W by S of Bridgend r. station. Post town, Bridgend. Acres, 2,871. Real property, £3,602. Pop. in 1851, 1,152; in 1861, 1,678. Houses, 340. The increase of pop. arose from extension of collieries, and of coke and iron works. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Newcastle. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with two hamlets"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Tythegston CP/AP/Tn       Bridgend and Cowbridge PLU/RegD       Glamorgan AncC
Place: Tythegston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.