Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WEETING-WITH-BROOMHILL

WEETING-WITH-BROOMHILL, a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk; 1½ mile N by W of Brandon r. station. It has a post-office under Brandon. Acres, 6,187. Real property, £2,265. Pop., 365. Houses, 75. W. Hall is the seat of W. Angerstein, Esq. A castle was built, on a site within the park, by Earl de Warenne; and is now represented by some ruins. Broomhill priory belonged to Cardinal Wolsey; passed to Christ's College, Cambridge; and was purchased by the Angersteins. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £503. Patron, Gonville and Cains College, Cambridge. There were two churches; and one of them is still good, but the other is a ruin.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Weeting With Bromehill CP       Thetford PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Weeting

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.