Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHATLEY

WHATLEY, a parish, with a village, in Frome district, Somerset: 3 miles W of Frome r. station. Post town, Frome. Acres, 1,259. Real property, £2,671. Pop., 423. Houses, 79. The manor belonged once to Glastonbury abbey, and belongs now to the Rev. J. S. H. Horner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £228.* Patron, the Rev. J. S. H. Horner. The church is ancient, with tower and spire; and the chancel was restored in 1857. The vicarage of Chantry is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Whatley CP/AP       Frome PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Whatley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.