Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ASTON

ASTON, a chapelry in Stone parish, Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Northwestern railway, 2 miles SE of Stone. It includes the hamlet of Little Aston; and has a post office under Stafford. Real property, with Burston, Stoke, and Little Aston, £6,188. Pop., 625. Houses, 149. The manor belonged anciently to the Astons, and passed to the Hevinghams and the Simeons. The living is a p. curacy, united with the curacy of Burston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £166. Patron, the Hon. E. S. Jervis. The church is a neat edifice in the English style, with a tower. There is a Roman Catholic church.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stone AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Aston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.