Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CAINSCROSS

CAINSCROSS, a chapelry in Stonehouse, Stroud, and Randwick parishes, Gloucester; on the Western Union railway, 1 mile W of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud. It was constituted in 1837. Pop., 1,916. Houses, 425. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, Mrs. Croome. The church is modern. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Randwick Ch/CP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Cainscross

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.