Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHANTRY

CHANTRY, a chapelry in Whatley, Great Elm, and Mells parishes, Somerset; near the East Somerset railway, 2 miles W of Frome. Post Town, Frome. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 264. Houses, 49. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £90.* Patron, the Rev. J. Fussell. The church was built in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a girls' industrial and boarding school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Mells AP/CP       Somerset AncC
Place: Chantry

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.