Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHESELBORNE, or Chesilborne

CHESELBORNE, or Chesilborne, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Piddle, 6½ miles E by S of Cerne-Abbas, and 7½ NNW of Moreton r. station. Post town, Milton-Abbas, under Blandford. Acres, 2, 580. Real property, £2, 752. Pop., 432. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Blackmoor Vale harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £254.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church is good, and has an embattled tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cheselbourne CP/AP       Dorset AncC
Place names: CHESELBORNE     |     CHESELBORNE OR CHESILBORNE     |     CHESILBORNE
Place: Cheselbourne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.