Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CREAKE (North)

CREAKE (North), a parish in Docking district, Norfolk; 3 miles SSE of Burnham-Westgate r. station, and 5 W of Walsingham. It has a post office under Fakenham. Acres, 3, 601. Real property, £4, 039. Pop., 708. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. A priory-hospital was founded here, in 1206, by Sir Robert de Narford; afterwards enlarged into an Angustinian abbey; and eventually given, by the Countess of Richmond, to Christ's College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1, 077.* Patron, alternately Earl Spencer and the Bishop of Norwich. The church has a transitional early English chancel, a lofty clerestory, a fine decorated English tower, and a brass of a man holding a church; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £15. Bishop Sandal was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: North Creake AP/CP       Docking PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place names: CREAKE     |     CREAKE NORTH     |     NORTH CREAKE
Place: North Creake

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.