Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DAVID (St.), or David-Brecon (St.)

DAVID (St.), or David-Brecon (St.), a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Usk, in the western vicinity of Brecon town and r. station. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 2, 789. Real property, £4, 328. Pop., 1, 418. Houses, 317. The area consists of two divisions, the lower or Llanfaes, and the upper. Llanfaes is within Brecon borough; and contains the county jail and Brecon workhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £141. Patrons, the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of St. Davids. The church was built in 1860, at a cost of £1, 500; and is in the early English style.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: St David PA/CP       Brecknockshire AncC
Place: Brecon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.