Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EDENSOR

EDENSOR, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bakewell district, Derby. The village stands on the river Derwent, ½ a mile W of Chatsworth House, and 2 ENE of Bakewell r. station; is a pretty place of villa-cottages; and has a post office under Chesterfield, and a good inn. The township includes the village, and comprises 4, 328 acres. Real property, £4, 669. Pop., 272. Houses, 51. The parish contains also the township of Pilsley. Acres, 4, 829. Real property, £5, 363. Pop., 592. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. The church is very old; has a pinnacled tower; and contains a splendid alabaster monument to the first Earl of Devonshire. Charities, £73.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Edensor CP/AP       Bakewell PLU/RegD       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Edensor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.