Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELM

ELM, a parish in Frome district, Somerset; on the river Frome, 2 miles W by N of Frome town and r. station. It includes Little Elm hamlet, lying detached from the main body of the parish, which bears the name of Great Elm; and its post town is Frome. Acres, exclusive of Little Elm, whose acreage is returned with that of Whatley parish, 893. Real property, £1, 566. Pop. of G. Elm, 323; of L. Elm, 54. Houses, 76 and 16. The property is divided among a few. Extensive ironworks are on the banks of the Frome. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £193.* Patron, William Strachey, Esq. The church is ancient; has a fine Norman doorway; and is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Elm AP/CP       Frome PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Elm

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.