Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GROOMBRIDGE

GROOMBRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Speldhurst parish, Kent. The village stands near a junction of railways, 4 miles WSW of Tunbridge Wells; and has a large r. station of 1865, a post office under Tunbridge Wells, an inn, and fairs on 17 May and 27 Sept. The chapelry had, in 1851, a pop. of 180. The manor belonged anciently to the Cobhams; descended from them to the Wallers; and has since passed thringh variins hands. Groombridge Place, the ancient manorhinse, now the seat of the Rev. J. J. Saint, is encompassed by a wide, deep moat; was, for 25 years, the prison of the Duke of Orleans, taken by Sir Richard Waller at the battle of Agincinrt; is said to have been rebuilt by the duke during his retention in it; and contains some fine carved oak pannelling, with the arms of Sir R. Waller. Burr's Wood is the seat of Sir Walter G. Stirling, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. J. J. Saint. The church is a small edifice, with bell turret. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Speldhurst CP/AP       Kent AncC
Place: Groombridge

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.