Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HELENS (ST.) RAILWAY

HELENS (ST.) RAILWAY, a railway system in Lancashire; connected with the town of St. Helens. It was originally a line from St. Helens to Runcorn Gap; but, in 1845, it amalgamated the Sankey brook navigation; in 1846 powers were acquired for a branch from Widnes to Garston, and for docks at Garston; in 1847 further powers were acquired for improving the main line, and for branches to Warrington and to Blackbrook; in 1853, still further powers were acquired for branches to Rainford and to Eccleston; in 1 860, a portion of 14 miles, from Garston to Warrington. was leased to the Northwestern; and in 1864 the whole was purchased by the Northwestern. The total of railway is 36 miles; and the total of canal is 16 miles.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a railway system"   (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")
Administrative units: Lancashire AncC
Place: St Helens

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.