Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEPTONSTALL

HEPTONSTALL, a village and a parochial chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a bleak eminence, adjacent to the river Hebden, 1 ½ mile NW of Hebden-Bridge r. station, and 8 W by N of Halifax; and has a post office under Manchester, and a cattle fair on Easter Tuesday. The chapelry includes also the hamlets of Erringden, Langfield, Stanfield, and Wadsworth. Acres, 5, 320. Real property, £10, 686. Pop. in 1851, 4, 177; in 1861, 3, 497. Houses, 790. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in hand loom weaving. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the trustees of the Saville estates. Much of the land is moor and common. There are silk, cotton, and cotton spinning manufactories. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church was built in 1854, near a previous church which became dilapidated; is in the later English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with square tower. There are Chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a grammar school, and several small charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parochial chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Halifax CP/AP       Heptonstall CP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Heptonstall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.