Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOLTON-ST. MARY

HOLTON-ST. MARY, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; 2¾ miles S of Raydon r. station, and 4¼ SSE of Hadleigh. Post town, Stratford-St. Mary, under Colchester. Acres, 837. Real property, £1, 358. Pop., 167. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £257.* Patron, SirRowley, Bart. The church is early English, has a tower, and is good. An endowed school has £30 a year; and other charities have £24.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Holton St Mary CP/AP       Samford PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Holton St Mary

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.