Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HORNINGSEA, or HORNSEA

HORNINGSEA, or HORNSEA, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on the river Cam, and on the Cambridge and Ely railway, 3½ miles NE by N of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge. Acres, 1, 580. Real property, £2, 604. Pop., 402. Houses, 82. An ancient priory here was destroyed, about. 870, by the Danes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £4.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Horningsea CP/AP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place names: HORNINGSEA     |     HORNINGSEA OR HORNSEA     |     HORNSEA
Place: Horningsea

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.