Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOXTON

HOXTON, a quondam hamlet, seven chapelries, and two sub-districts in Shoreditch parish and district, Middlesex. The quondam hamlet is now part of the metropolis; occupies the space between the old Roman road. now called Old Street road, and the Regent's canal; lies averagely 1 ½ mile NE by N of St. Paul's; is within the jurisdiction of the central criminal court; contains the station of the N division of the metropolitan police; and has a post office, ‡ of the name of Hoxton-New-Town, and several receiving post offices, under London N. It was known at Domesday as Hocheston; it has, since about 1810, become closely built and populous; and it is divided into Old and New towns, the former of which contains some old houses, while the latter is entirely modern. Balmes' House, or Whitmore, in the Old town, was once a moated mansion, and was converted into a private lunatic asylnm. The Haberdashers' alms houses, in Hoxton, were erected in 1692, and endowed with a legacy of £30, 000 by Robert Aske, Esq.; were rebuilt, in 1825; are now a handsome edifice, forming three sides of a quadrangle, with a chapel and a bronze statue of Aske; and have an income of £3, 550. Fuller's alms houses, for 28 aged women, were founded and endowed in 1795; Westby s alms houses, for 10 aged women, were founded in 1749; Lady Lumley's alms houses, for 6 aged persons, were rebuilt in 1822; and there are also Badger's and Baremere's alms houses. The workhouse, belonging to St. Luke, Middlesex, is in the New town; and, at the census of 1861, had 694 inmates. Hoxton, in the early part of the 17th century, was regarded as a country village, appears to have been a favourite resort of the citizens, and was famous for cakes and ale, and for custards. The manor has belonged, since before the Norman conquest, to the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls. The Rev. John Newton lived in Charles square.-The chapelries are St. John and Trinity, constituted in 1829; Christchurch, in 1841; St. Andrew, in 1861; St. Saviour, in 1862; St. Anne and St. Mary, in 1865. Pop. of St. J., 20, 579; of T., 6, 511; of C., 7, 610; of St. And., 7, 000; of St. S., 5, 675; of St. Anne, 5, 145; of St. M., 6, 300. Five of the livings are vicarages, and two p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value of St. J., £780.; * of T., C., and St. S., each £420; of the others, each £200. Patron of St. J., the Archdeacon of London; of T., the Bishop of L.; of C., the Vicar of St. John; of St. And., Trustees; of St. S. and St. Anne, alt. the Crown and the Bishop; of St. M., the Lord Chancellor. St. John's church was built in 1826, at a cost of £13, 000; and has a tower with stages of turrets, and a terminal cupola. An Independent chapel, inlieu of the Barbican one, and at a cost of £6, 000, was built in 1868. There are numerous dissenting chapels, a Jews' synagogue, and several national and other public schools.-The sub-districts are H. New Town and H. Old Town: and they are divided by a line drawn through Pitfield street, Critchill place, and New North road. Acres, of H N. T-, 130. Pop. in 1851, 23,505; in 1861, 26,516. Houses, 3,182. Acres, of H. O. T., 116. Pop. in 1851, 17,431: in 1861, 25, 777. Houses, 3,233


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a quondam hamlet, seven chapelries, and two sub-districts"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Shoreditch AP/CP/Vest       Shoreditch PLPar/RegD       Middlesex AncC
Place names: HOCHESTON     |     HOXTON
Place: Hoxton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.