Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEVEN

LEVEN, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4¾ miles E by N of Arram r. station, and 6 NE of Beverley; is connected by a canal, westward, with the river Hull; comprises two streets crossing at right angles; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office‡ under Beverley. The township is in Beverley district, and comprises 3,517 acres. Real property, £6,124; of which £280 are in the canal. Pop., 889. Houses, 195. The parish contains also the township of Hempholme in Skirlaugh district, and comprises 4,837 acres. Real property, £7,521. Pop., 990. Houses, 210. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,190. * Patron, J. T. Leather, Esq. The church has an open-timbered roof, a fine E window, and a tower; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a parochial school, and a girls' school.—The sub-district is in Beverley district, and contains Leven township and Routh and Wawne parishes. Acres, 10,984. Pop., 1,469. Houses, 279.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Leven CP/AP       Leven SubD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Leven

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.