Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANGAFELACH, or LLANGYFELACH

LLANGAFELACH, or LLANGYFELACH, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Glamorgan. The village stands near the river Tawe, the Swansea canal, and the Vale of Neath railway, 4 miles WNW of Llansamlet r. station, and 3½ N of Swansea; and has a fair on 1 March.—The parish contains also the village of Morriston, which has a post office under Swansea; and it includes the hamlets of Clase, Penderry, Mawr, and Rhyndwy-Clydach. Acres, 27,305. Real property, £31,751; of which £6,470 are in mines, and £3,074 in the canal. Pop. in 1851,10,895; in 1861,13,219. Houses, 2,687. The property is much subdivided. The manor formerly belonged to Brecon college. Much of the land is naturally barren, and not a little has an aspect of extreme desolation. Copper-works and collieries employ a large proportion of the inhabitants; and they greatly disfigure the landscape. The fluoric or arsenical acids from the copper works keep down the naturally poor vegetation; the heaps of slag are an eye-sore; and the clouds of smoke from the numerous chimneys bedim the atmosphere. Many of the workmen and the colliers reside in the large village of Morriston. A battle was fought within the parish in 990, when Howel, prince of South Wales, was beaten. Some Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the o. curacy of Gorseinon, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Cyvelach; is a modern edifice, separated from the tower of an ancient one; and contains monuments to the Llewelyns of Penlergare. The p. curacies of Morriston and Clydach are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans, and charities £29.—The sub-district contains only the Clase hamlet of the parish, including the village of Morriston; but contains also the parish of St. John-near-Swansea, and the higher division of Swansea parish; and is in Swansea district. Pop., in 1851,9,812; in 1861, 14,553. Houses, 2,990.-The hundred contains the parishes of Llangafelach, Llansamlet, and Llanguick. Acres, 48,690. Pop. in 1851,11,829; in 1861,17,923. Houses, 3,611.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llangyfelach CP/AP       Llangafelach SubD       Llangyfelach Hundred       Glamorgan AncC
Place names: LLANGAFELACH     |     LLANGAFELACH OR LLANGYFELACH     |     LLANGYFELACH
Place: Llangyfelach

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.