Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANLLECHID

LLANLLECHID, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Bangor district, Carnarvon. The village stands near the river Ogwen, 3½ miles SW by S of Aber r. station, and 3½ SE of Bangor; and has a post office under Bangor, and a fair on 29 Oct.—The parish contains also the villages of Talybont and Bethesda, and the hamlets of Braichmelyn, Caelwyngrydd, Carneddi, Llidiart-y Gwenyn, and Pant-y-ffrydlas. Acres, 18,111. Real property, £9,960; of which £850 are in quarries, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,5,948; in 1861,7,346. Houses, 1,561. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of slate and stone quarrying. The property is divided among a few. Cochwillan was the birth place of Bishop Williams, and the residence of Archbishop Williams. The surface runs up the northern offshoots of Snowdonia, and includes Carnedd Llewelyn and Carnedd Davydd, which have altitudes of 3,469 and 3,427 feet. The slate quarries are similar to the neighbouring ones of Penrhyn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor Value, £465.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Llechid, and was rebuilt in 1845. The vicarage of Glanogwen is a separate benefice. There are eleven dissenting chapels, two national schools, two British schools, and charities about £20.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 33,465. Pop., 9,127. Houses, 1,911.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanllechid CP/AP       Llanllechid SubD       Bangor and Beaumaris PLU/RegD       Caernarvonshire AncC
Place: Llanllechid

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.