Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MANTHORPE

MANTHORPE, a township and a chapelry in Grantham parish, Lincoln. The township bears the name of Manthorpe-cum-Little Gonerby; lies 1¼ mile NE of Grantham r. station; is included in Grantham parliamentary borough; and has a post office under Grantham. Real property, £8,102. Pop. in 1851,2,344; in 1861, 2,241. Houses, 496.—The chapelry comprises but a small part of the township, and was constituted in 1849. Rated property, £1,598. Pop., 206. Houses, 53. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Londonthorpe, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £200.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church was built in 1848; is in the early decorated English style; and comprises nave, S porch, chancel, and vestry, with tower and spire.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Grantham CP/Tn/AP       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Manthorpe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.