Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MARTON

MARTON, a chapelry in Chirbury parish, Salop; adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 3 miles E of Offa's dyke, 4½ EN E of Forden r. station, and 6 NE of Montgomery. Post town, Chirbury, Salop. Pop., 328. Houses, 72. The chapelry was constituted in 1859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £45.* Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chirbury AP/CP       Shropshire AncC
Place: Marton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.