Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARMBY

HARMBY, a township in Spennithorne parish, N. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Leyburn railway and the river Ure, 1½ mile ESE of Leyburn. It has a post-office under Bedale, and a Wesleyan chapel. Acres, 860. Real property, £1,815. Pop., 263. Houses, 56.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Harmby CP/Tn       Spennithorne AP/CP       North Riding Riding       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Harmby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.