Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Ilford, (or Great Ilford)

Ilford, (or Great Ilford), town and ry. sta., Barking par., S. Essex, on river Roding, 3½ miles NE. of Stratford and 7 miles NE. of London by rail, pop. 4397; P.O., T.O.; contains St Mary's Hospital, founded in time of Henry II., and refounded by Queen Elizabeth in 1572; here is the Ilford Paper Mill.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "town and railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Barking CP/AP       Essex AncC
Place names: GREAT ILFORD     |     ILFORD     |     ILFORD OR GREAT ILFORD
Place: Ilford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.