Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Cullompton, or Collumpton

Cullompton, or Collumpton, market town and par. with ry. sta., N. Devon, on river Culm, 12½ m. NE. of Exeter and 181 m. SW. of London, 7370 ac., pop. 2938; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. C. formerly produced woollen stuffs, but its staple mfrs. now are paper, leather, and flour. It is a place of great antiquity, having been a demesne of the Saxon kings.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "market town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Cullompton CP/AP       Devon AncC
Place names: COLLUMPTON     |     CULLOMPTON     |     CULLOMPTON OR COLLUMPTON
Place: Cullompton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.