Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Leiston

Leiston, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Suffolk, 4 miles E. of Saxmundham Junction, 4640 ac., pop. 2439; P.O., T.O.; has extensive ironworks for the making of agricultural machinery and implements; near the vil. are the ruins of Leiston Abbey (13th century).


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish and village with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Leiston CP/AP       Suffolk AncC
Place: Leiston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.