Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOOD-GREEN

WOOD-GREEN, a ward and a chapelry in Tottenham parish, Middlesex. The ward lies on the Great Northern railway, at Alexandra Park, 6 miles N of St. Paul's, London; and has a post-office under Tottenham, London N, and a r. station. Pop. in 1851, 1,269; in 1861, 3,154. Houses, 565. The chapelry is less extensive than the ward, and was constituted in 1866. Pop., about 4,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Tottenham. The Royal Masonic school for boys, a very fine building, is here. The Printers' and Fishmongers' alms houses also are here; and the latter is an imposing edifice in florid Tudor style.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a ward and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: Tottenham CP/AP       Wood Green Ch/CP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Wood Green

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.