Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WORTLEY

WORTLEY, a large village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Hunslet district, W.-R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Leeds and Bradford and the Leeds and Dewsbury railways, 2 miles SW by W of Leeds; and has a post-office under Leeds, and two r. stations.-The township includes Lower W., Upper W., Greenside, and Silver-Royd-Hill; and is in Leeds parish and borough. Acres, 1,036. Real property, £23,043. Pop. in 1851, 7,896; in 1861, 12,058. Houses, 2,649. The increase of pop. arose mainly from proximity to Leeds, the abolition of a pontage, and facility of railway communication. The manufacture of woollen fabrics, and of sanitary tubes and fire-bricks is largely carried on. There are two churches, four dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £40 a year, and a national school.—The chapelry excludes the New Wortley part of the township. Pop., 4,724. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £147.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was originally a dissenting chapel, built in 1787; and became connected with the Establishment in 1813.—The sub-district includes Farnley, Armley, and Gildersome townships; and comprises 5,053 acres. Pop., 24,557. Houses, 5,317.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a large village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hunslet PLU/PLPar/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Wortley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.